The Micronutrient Initiative (MI) is the leading organization working exclusively to eliminate vitamin and mineral deficiencies in the world´s most vulnerable populations. Headquartered in Canada, MI's work reaches children and women in 70 countries around the world.
In Ethiopia, MI works on the following priority objectives:
- - Increase the number of children receiving Vitamin A
- - Therapeutic zinc supplementation, along with oral rehydration salts (ORS), to treat diarrhoea in children
- - Strengthen the ability of salt producers to properly iodize salt
- - Conduct operational research into factors to improve adherence rates of pregnant women taking daily iron and folic acid supplementation on a daily basis
- - Assist community members in micro-fortification of staple foods
In May 2013, DKT Ethiopia entered into an agreement with MI to introduce Diarrhea Treatment Kits (DTK), each containing 10 tablets of Zinc Sulfate, along with two sachets of ORS. The product, marketed under the brand name LemLem Plus, an extension of DKT Ethiopia's existing LemLem ORS brand, has been making steady progress in the Ethiopian market.
Website: Micronutrient Initiative